Internal and External Posting
Manager, Training and Strategic Interventions
Part-time – 24 hours per week
(flexible hours evening and weekends required)
Battered Women’s Support Services is a feminist anti-violence organization committed to social change!
We are looking for a member of our Leadership Team!
The Manager, Training and Strategic Interventions is responsible for managing all aspects of Battered Women’s Support Services external training program. This is a BWSS Leadership Team position.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• From a feminist, anti-oppression perspective plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates trainings and to facilitate training and related events related to the continuum of violence against women service provision.
• Be familiar and agree with BWSS mission statement, philosophy, work and organizational culture to achieve the end of violence against women, empowerment, anti-oppression work and social change
• From a feminist, anti-oppression perspective develops, organizes and schedules training activities for Strategic Interventions social enterprise of Battered Women’s Support Services
• Works with team to document and write existing and new curricula, develop, revise and implement custom and standard training packages including presentations, role plays, handouts, manuals, exercises, and other resource materials for related topic areas utilizing with multi-media presentation models and online training including webinars
• Works with a team to develop micro website with multi media resources for women survivors and front-line community organizations and promote widely, facilitate translation of defined resource materials into three to five identified languages
• Respond to all training inquiries, interview to assess needs and market services, produce flyers, write news releases, public service announcements and utilize social media to promote and market training program and recruit trainees, supervise mailing, faxing, and electronic mailing of all promotional materials, set training fees and write training proposals
• Maintain and cultivate relationships with training site staff, recruit, train, schedule and supervise and mentor all presenters, coaches, demonstrators
• Schedule trainings and secure training sites, supervise registration lists, confirmation letters to trainees and trainers, Present core training content and/or coordinate the presentation of core materials by other trainers, manage/coordinate all on-site logistics, moderate/host all training events, manage and problem solve concerns as they arise with trainees, trainers, site staff or contracting agency staff, support, debrief and offer feedback to presenters, coaches, role-players and trainees as needed
• Supervise/maintain all files pertaining to training contracts and course offerings, including registration lists, payment rosters, cost revenue reports, invoicing, and relevant data bases, review incoming invoices, authorize payments, manage the training budget
• Attend staff meetings, take part in collaborative decision-making, and goal setting,
• Works within a leadership team responsible for direct service and community development as well as advisory committees
• Participates in program and community development, prepares grant proposals for submission
• Participates as a member of senior management in developing long range and strategic plans assessing and resolving operational issues and policies
• Develops and establishes standards and accountability control mechanisms for service provision in accordance with mandate, funding requirements, policies, goals and collective agreement requirements and approved by Executive Director
• Working in collaboration determines program, resource, budgetary, operational and organizational requirements for all new and existing services and programs
• Supervises, develops and motivates unionized service staff and other assigned staff consistent with a feminist anti-oppression perspective to attain program objectives, ensure effective direct service case planning and management, accountability to women accessing services, community, funding requirements, and referring agencies
• Communicates and promotes BWSS services and programs and the value therein
1. Strong demonstrated feminist leadership skills and ability to work independently
2. Demonstrated ability to lead operational and administrative management, planning, organizing, human resources, analytical and communications.
3. Strong public speaking and large group facilitation and strong training/presentations skills using adult learning concepts
4. Minimum 5 years experience providing counselling, support, information and referrals to women survivors of violence (including residential school, childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault and violence in intimate relationships). This experience has resulted in a thorough understanding of the dynamics of abuse, supportive interventions and current and emerging issues affecting survivors
5. Strong feminist anti-oppression analysis of violence against women
6. Three to five years of progressively more responsible program management experience in Aboriginal, Immigrant, feminist or community social service sector with demonstrated and in-depth working knowledge of BWSS or community based programs and services, applicable legislation and policies
7. Good organization, time management, problem solving and stress management skills
8. Strong conflict resolution skills
9. Well-developed communication skills both written and verbal
This position is part of an organization where the sole purpose is to alleviate and address the conditions of a disadvantaged group (women who are marginalized by violence and various forms of inequalities) being female is a bona fide occupational requirement. As such, only women will be considered.
Application Process & Deadline
All expressions of interest must be received by 5 pm Monday, December 20, 2010. Anticipated start date is January 2011.
Please send resume complete with three references to:
Angela Marie MacDougall
Address: P.O. Box 21503 – 1424 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, V5L 5G2
Phone: 604-687-1613 Fax: 604-687-1864 Email: director @bwss.org