Crisis Support, Victim Services, and long term individual counselling programs.
Trained and supervised workers at BWSS provides free support services for any woman who has been abused in an intimate relationship as well as women survivors of childhood sexual abuse and adult sexual assault. BWSS also provides support to women survivors of Indian Residential Schools and/or foster care.
Crisis Support/Victim Services Program
BWSS provides short-term individual support and crisis intervention for women who have experienced violence in an intimate relationship. This entails:
- Crisis intervention and safety planning
- Immediate emotional support
- Information about violence against women and abuse in relationships
- Information about options available to women
- Support with the criminal justice system including: court accompaniment, assistance with Victim Impact Statements and Crime Victim Assistance Program applications, assistance with peace bonds and protection orders, information about the court process, the flow through the criminal justice system, and women’s rights in the system as well as other advocacy and support related to the criminal system as needed
- Support, information and advocacy with the child welfare system
- Accompaniment to court and related appointments
Long term individual counselling is available for women currently experiencing abuse or who are survivors of abuse including childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault.
- A safe, confidential place to talk about your experiences and get information and/or support
- A skilled counsellor who will listen and validate without judging
- A chance to discuss questions, confusion, fears or other feelings
- Information and support to help you make your own decisions
- Discuss current coping strategies and support to make safe choices while coping with the effects of abuse
- Information and support to help you with parenting
- Referrals to other agencies or services as needed
BWSS Stopping the Violence (STV) Counselling is funded by the Ministry of Housing and Social Development.