Internal and External Posting
Women’s Employment Liaison
Full-time 40 hours per week at $ 17.60 per hour
Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm – Evenings and Weekends are required
Battered Women’s Support Services is currently hiring for BWSS Empowering Women’s Employment Program for women survivors of violence/abuse
The BWSS Women’s Employment Liaison provides case management services, assessment, counselling, training, information & referrals to women survivors of violence/abuse with BWSS Empowering Women’s Employment Program. Facilitates the development of a realistic action plan for women’s economic development and employment. Monitors progress and provides follow-up counselling and support until the action plan is completed. Provides participants with employment assistance individually and in groups. The Women’s Employment Liaison reports to the BWSS Manager of Employment Services & Programs.
BWSS Empowering Women’s Employment Program (EWEP) services include case management, individualized training, personal development, support groups, personal development exploration, employment related skills training, and educational assistance, counselling, crisis intervention, advocacy, legal advocacy and referrals to women survivors of violence in relationships and sexual assault.
• Works from a feminist, anti-oppression perspective
• Facilitates the development of a Personal Development Plan with participants, assessing interests, skills, abilities and readiness as they relate to obtaining and retaining employment and identifying barriers to employment including impact of violence and provides referral both within the organization and to other collateral agencies
• Contacts potential employers in order to obtain employment opportunities, volunteer placements, job shadowing, promotes the program and develop relationships.
• Provides participants with information on employment opportunities that are compatible with their interests, skills and abilities by analyzing available jobs and identifying specific tasks to match jobs to participants.
• Provides support and skill development in areas related to obtaining employment such as job search strategies, job application, resume writing and interview skills.
• Delivers services in groups and individually to support skill acquisition and build on current skills
• Maintains and provides current employment-related information such as labour market information, employment standards regulations and information on other community resources and services.
• Deliver services with cultural relevancy, immigration/settlement and in recognition of the impact cultural genocide and colonization on Aboriginal women
• Participates as a member of BWSS Empowering Women’s Employment Program Team
• Promotes public awareness and support of the BWSS Empowering Women’s Employment Program by producing promotional materials and attending community events
• Assists with debriefing and case consultation with BWSS Employment staff
• Prepares related reports and compiles statistics on program operation and use
1. Minimum two years of recent related experience working with women survivors of violence
2. Employment counselling experience
3. Strong group facilitation skills & training skills
4. Crisis intervention skills
5. Feminist leadership skills
6. Training and education in a directly related field
7. Strong feminist analysis of violence against women combined with an anti-oppression commitment, awareness and analysis and demonstrated ability to apply analysis
8. Knowledge and experience working with Aboriginal women and knowledge of generational impact of colonization and residential school.
9. Knowledge and experience working with Immigrant women and understanding of settlement process
10. Demonstrated cultural proficiency and ability to work with women from various cultural communities
11. Strong conflict resolution skills and demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
12. Satisfactory criminal record checks
13. Have experience in women’s organization and non-profit society environments
14. Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
15. Have proven ability to work co-operatively with colleagues and service provider in the community
16. Be personable, flexible and self-directed
This position requires union membership
This position is part of an organization where the sole purpose is to alleviate and address the conditions of a disadvantaged group (women who are marginalized by violence and various forms of inequalities) being female is a bona fide occupational requirement. As such, only women will be considered for this position. Women from under represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date: Friday, January 23, 2009 by 5 pm
Resume cover letter and three references to:
Angela Marie MacDougall
Fax: 604-687-1864, Email: [email protected] bwss.org Address: P.O Box 21503 1424 Commercial Drive, Vancouver BC V5L 5G2