This is an update sharing two new legal initiatives at Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS) and a reminder of a third.
Drop-In Family Law Information and Referral Clinic
The Legal Services and Advocacy Program Drop-In Family Law Information and Referral Clinic is available every Thursday from 6-8pm on a first come-first served basis.
This clinic is designed to provide legal information to women who have urgent matters in family law proceedings, legal information, legal referrals and legal advocacy support will be provided during one to one appointments.
For more information about the clinic email Vicky at [email protected]
BWSS Webinar Series – Responding to complex presentations of violence against women interfacing with the law
In this webinar series put on jointly by Battered Women Support Services and Courthouse Libraries, some of the issues when responding to complex presentations of violence against women interfacing with the law will be explored.
Some of the most challenging situations when supporting violence against women survivors occurs when interface with legal systems is ineffective at addressing and working with the complexities of the situation. Criminal, immigration and family law issues are a reality for women who experience violence and have particular significance for Indigenous, Refugee, Immigrant and women with precarious immigration status. For instance, women survivors of violence experience increased vulnerability:
- when they are arrested for allegedly perpetrating domestic violence,
- when they are incarcerated for criminal convictions arising out of post trauma coping behaviour before, during and post release, impacting Indigenous women disproportionately , and/or when
- they have precarious immigration status or are refugees or recent immigrants as well when they are self-representing in family law situations
Webinar Series 1 – When Battered Women are Arrested
A. Aimed at Lawyers (for 1 hr CPD credit) – Mar 7 Tues 12:30-1:30pm
B. Aimed at front-line workers/advocates – Mar 21 Tues 10am-11:30am
C. Aimed at law enforcement – Mar 28 Tues 12:30-1:30pm
Webinar Series 2 – Violence Against Women – Refugee and Immigration Law Issues Relating to Deportation
A. Aimed at front-line workers/advocates – Mar 15 Wed 10am – 11:30am
B. Aimed at Lawyers (for 1 hr CPD credit) – Mar 15 Wed 12:30pm -1:30pm
For more information about the webinar series, email Angela at [email protected]
The Legal Services and Advocacy Program at BWSS
The Legal Services and Advocacy Program provides:
- support, advocacy, information and accompaniment
- legal information, research, advocacy and support for battered women in family, child protection, immigration, criminal, civil, and poverty law matters over the telephone or in person.
For more information email Vicky at [email protected]
The legal initiative at Battered Women’s Support Services is funded by the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General, The Law Foundation of British Columbia and My Sister’s Closet a social enterprise of Battered Women’s Support Services.