The Transitions program at Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS) supports self-identified women who want to reduce their reliance on sex economies.
Sex economies includes but not limited to:
- employment in adult film and pornography
- erotic performances, peep shows
- escort services
- web cam work
- phone sex
- fetish work
- bondage/dominatrix/sadomasochism (BDSM)
- some forms of waitressing/bartending
- streetlevel sex work
- massage and bodywork
- There is also a spectrum of “sex for reward” that does not always involve the exchange of money for sexual services
Transitions at BWSS provides:
- one-on-one support that is tailored to participants needs
- pre-employment support as well as continuity of care during new employment
- specialized workshops on the topics of self-discovery, goal setting, capacity building and financial literacy
- individual exploration -participants have the opportunity to develop short-term and long-term goals which includes defining action steps.
- career exploration -participants are able to assess their strengths, skills, previous experiences, learning styles, passions and interests. This includes resume building, job search skills including interviewing and cover letters.
- a space to celebrate successes and strength, while acknowledging and working through challenges.
Child care, bus tickets, clothing are available, other practical supports may also be available.
Transitions currently has 50 participants. For more information and/or to join transitions call 604.808.4378
The Transitions program at BWSS is part of a consortium of five agencies formed to respond to the existing gaps and effectively meet the needs of those who do sex work which are Aboriginal Front Door, Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS), HUSTLE at HIM – Health Infinitive for Men, PACE Society, and WISH Drop-In Centre Society.
Transitions is funded by the Public Safety Canada. The Transitions Program at Battered Women’s Support Services is also funded by My Sister’s Closet– social enterprise of Battered Women’s Support Services.