Internal and External Posting
Manager of Retail Services and Programs
Full-time 40 Hours Weekly Monday to Friday Evenings & Weekends are required
Salary is negotiable
Battered Women’s Support Services is a feminist anti-violence organization with strong entrepreneurial spirit!
We are looking for a new member of our Leadership Team!
Battered Women’s Support Services Manager of Retail Services and Programs is responsible for the day-to-day management of Retail Programs and Services in accordance with Battered Services Support Services mission, values, goals, ethics, and strategic plan.
The BWSS Manager of Retail Services and Programs responsibilities include improving the commercial performance and maximizing profitability of the retail program through effective merchandising, communication, donor relations, service provision and volunteer co-ordination, staff supervision, improving sales and meeting customer demand. Performance objectives require action in Store Operations, Volunteer Co-ordination & Management, Merchandizing and “Buying”, Finance and Sales Reporting, Direct Service Provision to Women Survivors of Violence, Customer Care, Promotion & Marketing, Logistics, Information Technology, Administration.
Typical work activities will vary and include:
1. managing and motivating a volunteer team to increase sales and ensure efficiency;
2. managing stock levels and making key decisions about stock control;
3. analyzing sales figures and forecasting future sales volumes to maximize profits;
4. analyzing and interpreting trends to facilitate planning;
5. using information technology to record sales figures and for data analysis and forward planning;
6. dealing with staffing issues: interviewing potential staff; conducting appraisals and performance reviews; and providing or organizing training and development;
7. ensuring standards for quality, customer service and health and safety are met;
8. resolving health and safety, legal and security issues;
9. responding to customer complaints and comments;
10. promoting Battered Women’s Support Services and Retail Program;
11. organizing special promotions, displays, galas and events;
12. attending and chairing meetings;
13. updating colleagues on business performance, new initiatives and other pertinent issues;
14. touring the retail floor regularly, talking to colleagues and customers, and identifying or resolving urgent issues;
15. maintaining awareness of market trends in the retail industry, understanding forthcoming customer initiatives, and monitoring what local competitors are doing;
16. initiating changes to improve the business;
17. dealing with sales, as and when required.
• Experience and training in retail management;
• Experience and training in accounting/finance;
• Experience and training in fundraising, donor relations, and/or communications
• Experience in social enterprise development and/or management an asset
• Feminist leadership skills with previous supervisory experience
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Strong computer skills including ability to use database applications
• Must have training and experience in Excel
• Strong understanding of feminist women’s organizations
• A commitment to BWSS’s mission, goals and objectives
• An understanding of and a commitment to social enterprise and asset based resource development
• Ability to work efficiently in a fast paced and entrepreneurial work environment
• Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
Application Process & Deadline
All expressions of interest must be received by 5 pm March 9, 2009. Anticipated start date is March 30, 2009.
Please send resumes to: Angela Marie MacDougall
Address: P.O. Box 21503 – 1424 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, V5L 5G2
Fax: 604-687-1864 Email: director @bwss.org