Internal and External Posting
Retail Program Volunteer Co-ordinator
Full-time 40 Hours Weekly Tuesday to Saturday 10 am to 6 pm Evenings & Weekends are required
$17.60 per hour
The BWSS Volunteer Co-ordinator plans, implements oversees the day to day operation of the volunteer program for the Retail Program. Supervises women volunteers. Retail volunteer program includes customer service, sales, cash, merchandising, visual merchandising, warehouse, distribution, promotion and gala. Works as a member of Retail Program Team and services include, volunteer co-ordination, retail sales and service, warehouse and distribution, merchandising and visual merchandising, clothing and hamper voucher programs, information and providing assistance to women accessing Fashion Dollar programs
• Plans, develops, implements and evaluates all Volunteer Co-ordination activities with Manager of Retail Services and Programs.
• Recruits, trains, schedules and supervises women volunteers for coverage within all aspects of Retail Program as outlined by Leadership Team ensuring full coverage of fully trained women volunteers for visual merchandising, sales and customer services, warehouse and distribution, gala’s, promotion and marketing, special events and community outreach.
• Delivers volunteer co-ordination activities, as program demands require, in accordance with the BWSS Statement of Philosophy, BWSS Feminist Ethics and BWSS Retail Program Standards.
• Supervises women volunteers by training, ensuring they have adequate support and providing feedback on performance.
• Assists customers with purchases and completes sales during peak periods and provides coverage where gaps in coverage exist.
• Formulates program policies and procedures and evaluates volunteer program in consultation with supervisor
• Assists with the pick-up and distribution of stock with all BWSS Retail locations with program vehicle when required.
• Promotes public awareness of and support for the Retail Volunteer Program by producing promotional materials and attending community events.
• Assists with the development of communication, reporting and recording keeping systems for the Retail Volunteer Program.
• Prepares reports and statistics on Retail Volunteer Program for submission to Leadership Team.
• Facilitates communication with other feminist organizations concerned with violence against women and anti-oppression
• Adheres to the constitution, statement of philosophy, policies and procedures of the Society.
• Reports to the Manager of Retail Services and Programs
• Strives to create trusting, respectful and supportive relationships with the Leadership Team, other BWSS staff and volunteers.
The BWSS Retail Program Volunteer Co-ordinator must have a:
• Minimum two years of experience in a retail environment.
• Minimum two years recent supervisory or administrative experience.
• Minimum two years recent experience managing volunteers.
• Class 5 Drivers License
• Sound ability to plan and prioritize.
• Strong communication and negotiation skills.
• Computer literacy Excel and Word
• Strong commitment and aptitude for teamwork.
• Strong feminist analysis of violence against women
• Strong anti-oppression commitment, awareness and analysis and demonstrated ability to apply analysis
• Knowledge and experience working with survivors of historic racism and the impact of colonization and residential school.
• Demonstrated cultural competency including awareness of diverse marginalized communities in the Lower Mainland and ability to work with women from various cultural communities.
• Satisfactory criminal record checks.
The BWSS Retail Program Volunteer Co-ordinator will also:
• Have experience in women’s organization and non-profit society environments
• Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Have proven ability to work co-operatively with colleagues and service provider in the community.
• Be personable, flexible and self-directed.
This position requires union membership.
Application Process & Deadline
All expressions of interest must be received by 5 pm March 9, 2009. Anticipated start date is March 30, 2009.
Please send resumes to: Angela Marie MacDougall
Address: P.O. Box 21503 – 1424 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, V5L 5G2
Fax: 604-687-1864 Email: director @bwss.org