Since 2012, our supporters have participated in the Scotiabank Half-Marathon & 5K Charity Challenge, fundraising through walking, wheeling, running and donating each June to support women and girls in our community. Over the last 6 years, together, we have raised over $100,000 through the charity challenge!
This year, with your help, our goal is to raise $50,000.
When you commit to be part of the #SafetyChangesEverything team – whether it’s the 5K or the half marathon –you will get more fresh air, exercise, have fun, make new friends and help end gender-based violence by creating a better community.
When you run, walk or wheel for BWSS you will be with plenty of like-minded people. We will spend a beautiful summer day together in our Safety Changes Everything t-shirts, being cheered on by other team members, team cheerleaders and post-race celebration at our team table with special surprises.
Here is a list of tips that you might find helpful to meet or even surpass your fundraising goal.
- Establish benchmark goals. Don’t let the final amount intimidate you—break it up into manageable pieces. Choose goals to reach at the end of each week or month. This approach will not only ease your nerves, but it will also allow donors to see more tangible results from their donations.
- Make the first donation on your page. Then others will too and/or make a donation and ask your network to match your donation.
- Send Emails. Send emails to your whole network (friends, family, co-workers) encouraging them to support you in your fundraising efforts
- Social Media. Share the link to your fundraising page on any social media pages you have. Don’t forget to use our hashtags #Run4BWSS and #SafetyChangesEverything
- Share. Share regular post updates/photos on social media on your training or fundraising progress.
- Be creative with your engagement. Don’t repeat the same request for money with every email or social media post about your fundraising.
- Personalize your fundraising page. Add pictures and explain why you are running for BWSS. You can also record a video explaining why you are running or walking and post it on your fundraising page/social media.
- Host an event. Or dinner for friends or family and in return they can make a contribution in return.
- Link. Add a link to your fundraising page on your home or work e-signature.
- Thank all your donors! This could be done through email, phone call, text or online through social media, tagging them in a thank you post. This encourages your other social media friends to also donate to get their own special thank you.